Content Warning

Greetings and Salutations.
Because my stories have bite, they can contain content that isn't suitable for work or children. Not a lot of truly graphic sex or violence, but there are some questionable or heated posts. F-bombs are not uncommon, so watch your footing.

Monday, August 22, 2011

The sophistication of my literary palette

I didn't always like dark fantasy and anti-heroes and tragic endings. That all came as I matured and began to experience the world.

When I was a little kid, I liked happy stories, with happy endings. I rooted for the good guy and booed the bad guy. The easy answers were the best; light will always triumph over dark.

Some people's palette for food changes as they grow, becoming more sophisticated. For me, it was my literary palette that changed. I wanted complexity, something unusual, and to be surprised. Good always beating Evil no matter what because it was Good and that's how it works just didn't cut it for me anymore.

I'm unable to contemplate reading a lot of the books I read when I was younger. Not because they're badly written, but because I'd rather not ruin a good memory when I end up throwing the book across the room.

Fish sticks just don't appeal after you've known fresh sushi.