Sunday, February 13, 2011

The joys of book formatting

Spent yesterday getting Saint Valentine's Clash ready for Kindle/Nook and print.  Then I decided I should get it set up for Smashwords too.  I mean, that will make it a lot easier to give people review copies.

Went through Smashword's style and formatting guide, and was facepalming the hell out of myself.  I'd struggled for hours making the print copy, fighting over stupid justification.  Ten minutes reading the formatting guide, and I was able to breeze right through.

Of course, this is all after I've already submitted files to Kindle/Nook, so I have to wait.  Which means we most likely won't be seeing a Valentine's release for the ebook.  The print book was already going to be delayed to the end of the month, give or take.  CreateSpace is really fast, though, so it won't be a huge delay.

What silly simply little woes.  It's hard to be an indie author, right?  *smirks*  But at least I'm an author.

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! Formatting is a knack but, once you get it, it's easy enough. The trick is to have your deadline about six weeks before you actually *need* it. You'll still end up waving at the date as it speeds past, but at least you'll feel like you were organised! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget Lame'o's like me who want a good ol' fashioned PDF version (as well as a print).

    Waiting with bated breath to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna: Yeah. I was totally slack, and waited until the last minute. SOOOOO bad of me.

    Kir: well, now that the book is up on Smashwords, you can actually pick what e-format you want. Print is taking its bloody time >.<

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say something to me. I love hearing from you.