Content Warning

Greetings and Salutations.
Because my stories have bite, they can contain content that isn't suitable for work or children. Not a lot of truly graphic sex or violence, but there are some questionable or heated posts. F-bombs are not uncommon, so watch your footing.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Reading updates

So much reading at work, so little that I've been saying about it.  Shame on me.  And no links, because I'm being lazy.

Most recently, I finished Marked by Elizabeth Naughton.  It was okay.  Not really my cup of tea, though the writing was skilled and the plot was fine.  The narrative was just not in a style I care for, and the monsterously brawny male lead was actually a turn off.  There was also a little too much love=sex, and fascination only with the physcial aspects of the couple.  I wouldn't not recommend this book, but I probably wouldn't read anything else from her.

Slave by Cheryl Brooks was another book that wasn't bad, I just didn't personally like.  It's in first person, and the narrator is chatting with you like she's recounting the story.  So there's little asides, and hints at the future, and it just doesn't work for me.  It's hard for me to connect with the character when I feel like it's all an anecdote.  And I could have done with less about how perfect his funny alien cock was, and the wonderful pleasure goo it had.  It was distracting to me.  As with Marked, I won't discourage people from reading it, but I personally won't go out of my way to pick up another of her books.

Pack Challenge by Shelly Lauenston was a change of pace for me, because it features werewolves.  It didn't leave much of an impression on me one way or another.  It was fine to read, mostly enjoyable.  The main character's friends were a little too childish and easily distracted when things needed to be serious, and the climax was over and done with too quickly.  The bad guys appeared from almost nowhere, and then were soundly trounced.  Nothing to make them seem like antagonists, except that we were told so... Very little time was spent with them.

The Cutting Edge by Darcia Helle was one of the only books I thoroughly enjoyed lately.  I related so much with the character when she was having her violent little day dreams, because I too work with selfish stupid customers.  So it was like my regular day, except I've never had a serial killer decide I would understand him.  Everything played out well, and it was a very good book.  Definitely worth getting.  And I'm not just saying that to support a fellow indie author.


I'm looking forward to Inner Demons by Sarra Cannon, and Devil's Eye by Kait Nolan.