Thursday, January 27, 2011

Down with all non-vampire #vampires

At Embrace the Shadows, Robyn Bachar was talking about paranormal romance vampires that aren't really vampires.  She said if there aren't fangs and blood, it just loses her.  (Paraphrasing.)

I whole-heartedly concur with her.  I don't care how romantic or non-monstrous a vampire is, so long as he's still biting.  The feeding and biting is as important as the caring for his woman.

Yes, I've said this before.  And I'll probably say so again.  And again.  And again.  Until I gather up an army of like-minded readers who all cry for the fangs to come back.

Sex is great, and all, but I don't really need yet another immortal guy who can screw really well.  But if he bites, and drinks blood, and has hard fangs to pierce deeply, then he's perfect.  There doesn't even have to be traditional sex, because the bite is more than enough.

Where are the rest of you?  Who else likes vampires for that dark ecstasy?  Stand up and be counted.

6 comments:

  1. If you want to extract character from a vampire, that's great. Flesh them out and make them interesting. But I agree with your and Robyn's sentiment that vampires must be vampires. They are not an infection or a bunch of hormonal ancients aching to bite your inner thigh. Both the Twilight and True Blood varieties are sore disappointments to me. Last year I undertook to actually write the kinds of vampires I want to read, and it was tough, but the labor turned out fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, Interview with the Vampire was one of my first memorable vampire experiences. I'm in love with the not bestial vampires, the ones who do desire women. But I want them to desire FEEDING on women. Lestat was my absolute favorite vampire because he could be evil and sexy and confident and a vampire, all without compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I always feel left empty when reading about vampires who aren't more on the traditional side. Authors can make interesting vampires that are a bit different, as long as they stick to the basic classic points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here I am, standing and being counted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric: too bad everyone's all about reinventing these days. Sometimes it works all right, but normally it just ruins what you've come to expect.

    Lisa: HUZZAH!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say something to me. I love hearing from you.