Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book reviews - HP Mallory and Inner Demons

Inner Demons by Sarra Cannon was very awesome, and a great follow up to Beautiful Demons.  Questions were answered, only to be replaced by more questions.  I'm very intrigued, and waiting for the next part.  Sarra's created a fun world full of darkness that really captivates.  A must read.

This will seem totally unfair, but I'm going to spend more time on Mallory's books.  I LOVE Sarra's series, and I want to see her very successful, but I have a hard time saying more than, "This is great, check it out."  I shall remedy this after the third book.

Finished both Fire Burn & Cauldron Bubble and Toil & Trouble by HP Mallory.  I loved the worlds that were created, and the breadth of characters.  The narration was great, in a style that was friendly and light without being just chatty and an anecdote.  Sinjin was awesome, though it should be no surprise that I prefer a vampire character.

*possible spoilers*

I do have a couple tiny quibbles, though.  Mostly with the second book, Toil & Trouble, and how it ended.  I had no problems with the going back in time, and as soon as Rand was there, I knew Jolie was the woman he'd bonded with.  I actually liked that, and liked how different the characters were.  But I felt the actual solution to be forced, along with the reasons no one recognized Jolie.  And Mercedes just ending the war was a giant deus ex machina.  It took the pressure out of the war, made it no big thing.

Won't stop me from reading the next book, though.  I was just displeased with the hand of the goddess coming in and laying everyone to rest.  Not only on a personal level, but I felt robbed of anything climactic and epic.

I also thought Jolie suffered a little much from the everyone wants her syndrome.  She's thrust into the paranormal world, and everyone wants to get in her pants.  It gets a little distracting at times, but isn't really a big deal in the end.

Like I said, little quibbles.

And I just about died of laughter when she had an elder vampire names Varick.  I got an absolute blast out of Jolie saying it was the quintessential vampire name.  Made me feel that I'd made a great choice when I found that name.

4 comments:

  1. Your Book Reviews makes sense and looks original. This books is going in my 'To Read' list.

    Thanks,
    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Book Reviews makes sense and looks original. This books is going in my 'To Read' list.

    Thanks Akash for refering me this blog link. (My above comment got lost in middle... OOps)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review Raven! I'm currently reading through your "stories with bite" and LOVING THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarra, thanks. Those are the fun words I love to hear.

    Christine, glad you enjoyed the reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say something to me. I love hearing from you.