Content Warning

Greetings and Salutations.
Because my stories have bite, they can contain content that isn't suitable for work or children. Not a lot of truly graphic sex or violence, but there are some questionable or heated posts. F-bombs are not uncommon, so watch your footing.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Book Review - Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider

Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider got me hooked pretty early on.  The blurb certainly had me, because it was different.  Then the prologue set up something mysterious and a little dangerous, and I had to keep going.  It was an absolute must that I find out what else was in store.

And the term Rabbit for a victim of the vampires is just great.  It immediately puts you in the right frame of mind, and immediately gets you to sympathize with the title character.

The uniqueness of both the story and the origin of the Rakum are the biggest parts that make this a compelling read.  I love vampire books, so I've seen a lot of different takes on the birth of vampires, and their powers, and how they're stopped.  Ellen has brought a new light to the legend, making a new being with her Rakum that is still somehow very familiar.

I loved the consistency of Beth Rider.  She has her faith, and her peace, and that is what keeps her going through the worst of her adventure.  Her perseverance and unshakable core are enviable, and not something I see in a lot of characters, let alone real people.  It was a nice touch that she didn't have to be superhuman to be able to cope with a dangerous world.

The progress of the characters, and the evolution of an entire race, are what made this book, and what makes me look forward to the sequel.  I really want to see how everyone copes with the new paradigm they've found.